If you’ve been following along in my perfect smoothie guide (Parts 1, 2, & 3), you’ve heard me blab on and on about how smoothies are amazing, make us feel amazing, healthy, blah blah blah. I know. You get it. I was going to do a whole post today on how smoothies can help us reach our fitness goals, but I think Ive hit on that quite a bit in my previous posts. So here is what I am thinking: lets do a 12 Day Smoothie Challenge. I love challenges! Plus, it will help me stay accountable for incorporating more smoothies into my diet each day.
Besides, the weather has been warmer and reminding me to start working on my bikini body. Just kidding; I know the reality of that and its just not going to happen. Im writing a food blog for crying out load! And 90% of what I post are cookies and brownies and anything with chocolate. But thats why I need to do this challenge. Less cookies, more smoothies. Less brownie, more fruits and veggies. I know, this sounds extremely boring, but I promise it will be fun! And your body is going to reap so many benefits from it!
With all the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, healthy fats, fiber, etc., smoothies can help us (click here for a longer overview):
- Detox our bodies
- Reach out fitness goals
- Beautify our skin
- Sharpen our mind
- Brighten our mood
- So much more!
Why 12 days? Two weeks seems like too much of a commitment. One week is too short to see results. 10 days is so common in challenges these days. 12 just feels right.
Im going to lay down the ground rules for this challenge, and then share with you a perfect orange smoothie. Orange Cold Buster Concoction Smoothie to be exact. Everyone is getting colds around me and I need to ward off any possibility of getting one too. Stayyyy awayyyy!
12 Day Perfect Smoothie Challenge
Goal: Drink one smoothie each day for 12 days straight. Smoothies can be eaten as breakfast, for a a snack, as a dessert alternative, as a pre-workout, as a post-workout, or in the form of a smoothie bowl. 1 smoothie a day for 12 days.
- Each smoothie must be different
- All smoothies must contain a fruit
- All smoothies must contain a veggie
- Each smoothie should contain 1-2 add-ins (click here for a list of my favorites)
- Smoothies made post-workout should contain protein add-in
- No added sugar except for honey, dates or other natural sweeteners
- 3 out of the 12 days, you must consume a mainly-veggie smoothie (typically referred to as green smoothies)
- Smoothies should contain non-dairy milk (optional)
Example of a good smoothie challenge menu (some may need add-ins/veggies added to recipe):
- Breakfast: Berry Green Smoothie
- Post-workout: Ice Coffee Protein Shake
- Dessert: Chunky Monkey Meets Fat Elvis
- Breakfast: Kale Ginger Detox Smoothie
- Snack: Orange Cold Buster Concoction (below)
- Pre-workout: Berry Detox Smoothie
- Breakfast: Blue-nana Muffin (Without the Muffin)
- Breakfast: Blueberry Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Dessert: Chocolate Raspberry Maca Smoothie
- Post-workout: Berries on Top of Berries with Berries (add protein)
- Breakfast: Triple Berry Kiwi
- Snack: Mermaid Smoothie Bowl
The more I look at the list above, the more I am certain that it’s the list I will be following. Starting tomorrow!
I almost forgot! My all time, highly recommended, favoriiiiite….(drum roll please)…..BLENDERRRRS!
- Ninja Professional Blender ($72 and extremely powerful; great for everything)
- Farberware Single Serve Blender ($31, affordable, quick and easy clean up, powerful, multi cup)
- Hamilton Beach Smoothie Smart Blender ($40, budget friendly blender)
- Hamilton Beach Personal Single Serve ($15, cheap but effective; good for college)
And there you have it. The end of the Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Smoothie. Basically, smoothies can be extremely beneficial to our health and bodies. Nutritious and delicious (I’m a poet as well).
Now, I am going to be posting another one of my favorite smoothies, which is at a perfect time with everyone being sick. Orange Cold Buster Concoction! So much vitamin C, so much flavor, so much deliciousness. A perfect orange smoothie. Now go make it and keep yourself from getting sick (or from getting others sick!).
Cold season is upon us! Kick it in the bud before it gets worse with this Orange Cold Buster Smoothie! Full of vitamins and minerals to get you feeling all better again. Or just make because it is a delicious tropical concoction of a smoothie!
- 1/2 ripe banana (can be frozen)
- 1/2 C mango (or pineapple)
- 1/3 C plain 0% fat greek yogurt or non-dairy yogurt*
- 1/2 C Orange Juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 packet of Emergen-C (any flavor, but I prefer raspberry)
- 3 ice cubes
- Optional Add-Ins**
Throw it all in a powerful blender.
Pulse on high for 30 seconds.
Blend on high for 30 more seconds.
*If you're eating a non-dairy diet, I recommend non-dairy yogurt, coconut milk, or excluding it (but adding more banana and almond milk)
**Add in optional add-ins of choice. For this smoothie in particular, I like chia seeds, Emergen-C, or fresh ginger.